Wednesday, July 13, 2016

1:1 Classroom Expectations

Cell phones!!  They drive me crazy.  We sometimes need them in class, they're important tools.  But most of the time they're there to distract students.  I have a rule:  on the desk, at the top, I can clearly see them, face down or case closed.  If a phone rings in class I get to answer it.  That part can be fun! Except the one time it was a male student's girlfriend (remember I teach university)...awkward.

So students need their smartphone.  Activities are usually one phone/two students as some students have shattered faces or for the students who don't have the latest, greatest tech.  We rarely have phones scheduled in lessons.  If we do I give a week's advanced notice to have phones charged then I also send a mass text the day before class as a second reminder through our school portal.

here's how I word it on my syllabus:
handphones: 
I know you have one!  please place it at the top of your desk face down or case closed, always on silent.
If the lesson requires use of your phone I will give advanced notice in class and send out a class SMS the day before reminding students to bring phones fully charged.




1 comment:

  1. I like that rule. If it rings I get to answer it haha. Don't think that's gonna be a problem for my elementary kids though ;)

    ReplyDelete