Friday, July 8, 2016

Blog Post #4, My Favorite Lesson

One of my favorite lessons is what I like to call "Coffee Talk."

This one takes quite the build up, need to be well in a semester.  If students haven't already engaged in some small group speaking activities they will be too shy.  I find it works with all levels.  Lower ESL students will need a bit more coaching but it's still fun.  Have them create 3 'get to know you' kind of questions, the more surprising but appropriate can be fun.  Then set up two lines of desks face-to-face to set up speed dating. (but don't mention the speed dating)  Give a limited time for the students to ask and answer each others' questions, I tend to go with 3~4 minutes.  There is usually a lot of laughter and free speaking, though probably lots of grammar mistakes.  For this particular game I let it slide, the idea is to stress free chat.  Set the tone, let them know it's for fun. 
 In so many ways you can find support on how to improve classroom discussions for this activity.  In "81 Ways to Make Your ESL Speaking Class Awesome" quite a few are covered in this fun little exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment